I’m super into bowls right now. Power bowls, salad bowls. Deconstructed meals are a great way to change it up and they are so variable based on what you like. I enjoy this Fajita bowl not only because it is fantastic but also because it is easy and ditches the tortilla (which I love but my thighs don’t). I have tried so many recipes and they’ve been ok. The only recipes I will post are my favorites. That being said none of these are created by me. Enjoy!
Chicken Fajita Bowls
Prep time 20 Mins
Cook time 10 Mins
Total time 30 Mins
1 & 1/2 LBs Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into thin strips
4 Tbs olive oil, seperated
1 lemon (1/2 tsp zest, 2 Tbs juice)
1 & 1/2 tsp each: dried Organo, seasoned salt, ground cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp each: ground chili powder, paprika, crushed red pepper
2 large peppers (any color you like) sliced thin
1 yellow onion, sliced thin
2 cups water
1 Tbs butter
1 cup rice (any variety you like)
1 lime 2 Tbs juice and 1 tsp zest
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
Salt & Pepper to taste
Additional toppings for you to choose from: pre-made Guacamole, Sour Cream, Black Beans (drained & rinsed), fresh lime, corn, salsa, Pico De Gallo, cheese, avocado, Fresh cilantro or green onions
- First marinade the chicken strips in a large sealed container. In a bowl mix together 2 Tbs olive oil, lemon zest & juice, and seasonings (1 & 1/2 each of oregano, seasoned salt, ground cumin, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp chili powder, paprika, and red pepper flakes. wisk until blended then pour over chicken and knead into chicken. refridgerate 30 mins to 3 hours.
- Prep veggies: slice onion and peppers thin and place in the refridgerator.
- When Chicken is done marinating place remaining 2 Tbs oil in a large skillet. Heat oil until shimmering then add onions and peppers. Stir until tender and slightly charred. Set veggies aside.
- Discard marinade completely. Place marinated chicken in the same pan the veggies were cooked in. Cook for 5-7 minutes on med-high or until cooked through. Stirring occasionally to get a nice char. Add veggies back in.
Cilantro Lime Rice
Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Stir in butter and rice and return to a boil. reduce heat to low, cover and cook until rice is tender. Add in lime, lime zest, cilantro, salt and pepper to taste.
Put it all together
- Divide rice among 4-6 bowls. Add chicken and veggie mix on top.
- Add on favorite toppings of your choosing: Sour cream, black beans, corn, Pico De Gallo, Salsa, avocado, guacamole, cheese, cilantro or green onions.
Nutrition Facts will vary depending on what you add on top of your meal.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 14g
Total Carbs: 30.5g
Dietary Fiber: 3g